Extended warranty

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My 2 year warranty just expired, does it make sense to purchase an extended warranty?

Posted : January 11, 2018 11:47 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

That's a tough question to provide a short answer, due to the number of variables. Probably best to answer these questions and a few more:
- have you experienced or do you anticipate any major issues
- are you comfortable fixing things yourself
- would you consider a warranty for peace of mind, or do you expect to break even
- negotiate cost of warranty and terms & conditions
- cost of deductible and any potential reductions (ours reduces the deductible by 50% if we go to selling dealer)
- availability of dealer service in timely manner

While I normally don't purchase extended warranties, we did get one at time of purchase. We negotiated a substantial reduction in cost and a small deductible, if repairs made at selling dealer. This is our first RV, so we looked at it as cheap insurance, while I learned how things work.

Posted : January 11, 2018 1:50 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

This is a HOT TOPIC on many RV forums...

MOST of the people, not all say to take the money you would be spending monthly for the extended warranty and place it in an account..
When and IF you have an issue, you may/should ( depending on the size) have more than enough cash in that said account to pay for the repairs without the hassle

With that said, I do not have an extended warranty.

Posted : January 11, 2018 2:10 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

If you're handy, forgo it...Sure, you might get caught with an expense you don't want. But chances are that most items are small and you can handle them yourself while saving the money.

Think about it...What are the most expensive things that can go wrong under a warranty?

The Roof is a biggy. Redwood did not make good on it and we are replacing it for $6K with a permanent roof we won't have to worry about any more.

The Refrigerator would be expensive if you replace the entire unit. Norcolds can run $5K plus installation. Most of the time, the coil pack can be replaced for $600 plus labor. It's the most expensive replacement part. If it goes bad, it's because someone parked at an angle and its probably not covered by the warranty anyway.

The Stove? How often does that not work? Maybe a control knob? Maybe a striker? Low cost. The same for the dishwasher and microwave. Buy a new one for a couple of hundred dollars.

Furniture? All RV furniture is junk. You might consider getting better furniture like we did.

An electrical problem...Can be expensive if you are hiring a company to fix. Most of the time, it's a lose connection, bad receptacle or some other minor problem. Most of it is cheap. The expense in electrical is the labor to track down the problem.

The same for plumbing... If you freeze a pex pipe, that's an insurance problem. Not a warranty problem.

A new furnace could cost $800. The same for a Roof Top A/C unit (each).

What else are you likely to run into that can break while under a warranty? I can't justify it. After 4 years of fixing everything that Redwood didn't, I'm still happy without it.

We also had one of those horrible lifetime warranty programs (only because the dealer threw it in. We didn't buy it). Not only do you pay for that, you have to take your rig in every year for an "inspection". Get in line for 3-4 months? No thanks. AND you have to pay for repairs...If you don't, the warranty expires.

You're better off getting a better insurance plan for the RV in case of a wreck. That's the expense that would be hard to swallow...The same for the tow rig.

Not all plans are created equal. Weigh each one and decide if it's right for YOU. It wasn't for us.

Posted : January 11, 2018 5:25 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

If your somewhat of a handyman, know basic plumbing/electrical then I figure I'm as capable, in most cases more so, as anybody I'd have to pay to work on it & they don't care how it's done as long as they get paid & it won't get parked on some lot for months waiting to be taken care of.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : January 11, 2018 5:43 PM
(@Anonymous)

We haven't taken any extended warranties on RV's that we've owned. We haven't run into any major big items other than damage due to a blow out on a previous RV and the loss of an awning (our insurance covered that at 100%).

Not sure what a warranty would cost and with what deductible but most of the stuff that broke on our RV's was at most in the low $100's each time (circuit boards etc.)

All depends if you are handy and have good insurance for major mishaps.

Posted : January 11, 2018 6:25 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks everyone, this second opinions is what I was looking for.
I really enjoy the form, when I have a question it's usually where I look first

Posted : January 12, 2018 10:51 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I had the black water tank fail, and the cost of the part and labor were within $150 of what the warranty cost me, so it was well worth it. My air conditioner also failed, so I"m a bit ahead.

Posted : January 13, 2018 12:47 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

In the event you have to have your A/C repaired again, the typical failure part is the fan motor...A kit costs $120 (+ or -). Expect to replace the fan motors every 5 years or so. They are cheap (made in China). It's almost always a bearing (or lack thereof) failure. If you have to replace a contactor or capacitor, they are about $15-20 each. There really is nothing else that will go bad unless you get a pin leak in the coils. Then, you might as well replace the entire unit (about $850 + install if you have that done).

Replacing tanks is more of a PITA than expense. You have to have patience and a good place to lay on the ground to do that. The warranty could help with this one. But if I have to do it, I will...Some things are just not worth doing yourself.

Posted : January 13, 2018 3:09 PM
Share: