Forum

Notifications
Clear all

winterize refrig ice maker

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@Anonymous)

Im a new owner of a redwood 3401RL with a Insignia refrigerator and ice maker. Anyone have any info on how to winterize the ice maker? This is a residential refrigerator.

Posted : July 16, 2018 3:16 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

go to the top of the page... click on member resources... then common solutions... look for the tab " winterize your redwood " You will find it there...

Posted : July 16, 2018 4:26 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Joe - unless the file has been updated lately to include residential fridges, it may only pertain to the RV gas/electric fridge.

Posted : July 16, 2018 7:47 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I ASSUME ( I know, shouldn’t ) that the directions are for the residential style as they include ice maker in the steps.... I am not sure if the RV fridges have ice makers ??? If they do , I apologize for misleading the original poster...

Joe

Posted : July 16, 2018 9:24 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Joe - Affirmative our old RV fridge has an ice maker. If I have some time tomorrow, I'll check the files in the Technical Library.

Posted : July 17, 2018 12:32 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

When we had our house winterized, the plumber suggested I remove the solenoid as this is fairly fragile and freezing could destroy it. He told us that he has seen a lot of these freeze and the housing break. Ours is located ont the back exterior of the fridge. FWIW

Posted : July 17, 2018 9:55 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

When we had our house winterized, the plumber suggested I remove the solenoid as this is fairly fragile and freezing could destroy it. He told us that he has seen a lot of these freeze and the housing break. Ours is located ont the back exterior of the fridge. FWIW

Posted : July 17, 2018 9:55 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I am technically NO HELP on the process.. My wife did not want to drink any campground water so I disconnected it before we used it and she ( I ) bring bottled water for us... Once I disconnected it, I blew out the line and capped it. Who am I to argue with my wife ? B)

Posted : July 17, 2018 11:02 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Most of us would call that being smart.

Posted : July 17, 2018 11:24 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

This 1 drawback to the residential fridge! If you have to pull it out to winterize or other maintenance that's not nearly as simple as at the house. In my opinion they should've kept the lower access panel on the backside just for this purpose.
I don't have the residential fridge, but do have an ice maker & it works great, 7 cubes at a time & it keeps up even if we're entertaining.
Just FYI Joe, I have a water softener plumbed behind a filter with a sediment cartridge, sitting in a milk crate, then through the onboard filter with a charcoal filter & have used the tap water for ice, coffee, tea, cooking & drinking all across the country without a single case of Montezumas revenge due to the water.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : July 17, 2018 11:57 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Thanks Danny.. It IS NOT me that needs to be told that... ! ! !

Posted : July 17, 2018 12:50 PM
Share: