Clear all

Time to Replace Slide Toppers, Tips, Comments, Suggestions

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@rob_fla)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Our Slide Toppers and Main Awning are starting to show their age due to weather, sun, wind and such.

The Slide Toppers are stating to get brittle and tear along the track edges and the Main Awning is also showing some tears at the roller tube edge so I am looking at replacing them.

I have been on the Tough Awnings website looking at their product, looks good and should last for many years. I do not know if anybody has had experience with Tough Awnings or has other suggestions for other Awning Fabric but comments or suggestions appreciated.

Have not decided on the color yet, not sure if I am going with a darker color or lighter color this time. Looking at either a chocolate brown or a champagne color.

I know slide toppers are a Love / Hate thing, some love them, some hate them. We love ours, with 5 slide outs and being in the southeast most of the time we get a lot of sun (which the awnings help with the summer heat) and a lot of leaves, nuts and others things from trees on top of our roof and slides. The slide awnings prevent having to go clean off the tops of the awnings every time we move and when it is raining we do not have a slide roof loaded with water when bring it in to move. I installed our Slide awnings 6 years ago and put them on with a little more pitch than the factory typically does and we have good tension on our awnings. Due to how I installed them we have never had water pooling on top of our awnings in 6 years of fulltime use and we even rode out a hurricane a few years back (yes they did flap some during the hurricane) and on very windy days they will flap some.

Has anybody else replaced their slide topper or awning material and has comments, suggestions, tips for us, it would be appreciated.

Robert & Sheryl

Posted : February 15, 2020 4:20 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Ordered the trim to fit replacement fabric from Shade Pro website, was good heavy material, heavier than original, but raw edges.

Roland (Rollie & Laurie) ordered the Tough replacements, they were also good quality with sewn edges.

Replacing is easy enough with 2 people & 3 ladders, also a pair of vise grip oil filter wrench pliers holds the tube fr spinning.

I watched a uTube that used a drill bit to widen the slot on one end of the tube which worked very well. The other procedure is taking one end apart.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : February 15, 2020 7:40 AM
Share: