Notifications
Clear all

possible tire issue

8 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
(@ford-truck-guy)
Topic starter  

One of my GY G114's had very unusual marks on them, GY replaced it at no charge. It sat ( brand new) for about a month, till Thursday when It took a 60 mile day trip to Lakewood NJ to get a Trav'ler satellite dish installed. When I got there I noticed that new tire was bulging, took a reading and it was at 40 #, down from 115.. I swapped to the spare and figured I would work it out at home.

When I had the NEW G114 installed, the kid removed and replaced the bolt on air valve and used the wrong one, this allowing the air to slowly leak.

My question is, is there any chance I damaged that brand new GoodYear by driving a period with it at that pressure? The local Tire guy is saying no problem,...... 

Michelle
(@mhs4771)

I think I would check with GY and see what they have to say.
And where's your TPMS??

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

ReplyQuote
Paul Bridges
(@iceman1777)

Joe, I agree I think I would give GY a call and see what they say. You might end up with another new tire. 

I will tell you that when my spring broke and my tires rubbed significant grooves in each other (brand new Sailuns) I got another 48,000 miles out of them. The G114s and Sailuns are pretty stout tires. 

2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 CC KR DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

ReplyQuote
(@ford-truck-guy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mhs4771

I think I would check with GY and see what they have to say.
And where's your TPMS??

The TPMS is still at the store...... hopefully before summer travel.. I have to research the better ones 

ReplyQuote
(@ford-truck-guy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @iceman1777

Joe, I agree I think I would give GY a call and see what they say. You might end up with another new tire. 

I will tell you that when my spring broke and my tires rubbed significant grooves in each other (brand new Sailuns) I got another 48,000 miles out of them. The G114s and Sailuns are pretty stout tires. 

Thanks Paul, I plan t call them in a day or so... Just have a lot going on right now... the next trip will not be till late April so I have time.

ReplyQuote
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

I started with a Tire Trakker setup, but it took 15 to 20 minutes on the road before you got a current read.  Good Friends were running the Tire Minder and totally destroyed a tire, yet no alert and even still read proper pressure with no tire left on the rim.
I switched to the TST 507 couple of years ago and has alerted me to a low tire before starting after an overnite stop.  On the way to the 2019 Rally all 4 RW tires (GY G114s) were within a couple of pounds of each other as well as within a few degrees of each other, when one Blew TST immediately gave a Rapid loss of pressure warning.  So it did it's job.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

ReplyQuote
ROG - Paul
(@rog-paul)
Estimable Member Admin

@mhs4771

That's also been my experience. I remember talking with you at the 2018 Rally - I had the Tire Minder but after you shared the experience of your friends I bought the TST507 and when I had two leaking rims it gave me plenty of warning to pull off safely. ++ on TST507.

ReplyQuote
(@rob_fla)
Eminent Member

Our TST System has been great, a number of years ago we had a leaking rim due to a small crack when traveling across Arizona, the system saved us from a tire failure and damage to our rig. 

ReplyQuote
Share: