Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : February 25, 2016 3:51 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Currently have Michelins LTX-MS that are originals to the '13 GMC dually & have almost 69k on them, they still have tread but will replace them (with the same tire) before starting our summer travel. Don't have all the specs, but they are quiet, good in rain, 70k tread life, & obviously have held up well.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : February 25, 2016 9:57 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Ford supplies a quality North American manufactured tire

Truck: 2016 F-350 DRW CC Lariat
Brand: General Tire
Style: Grabber
Size: LT245/75R17
Load Range:E - 3195 @ 80 psi
Current Miles:2,000 miles
Handling in Rain: Very Good - 8
Handling in Snow: Avoid that stuff
Noise: 8 or 9
Warranty: 12 months + 5 yr pro rata
Overall Satisfaction: 9
Comments: Excellent North American tire supplied by the factory.

Posted : February 25, 2016 11:54 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

GipC, we were only allowed the GY Wranglers on our fleet vehicles & wasn't impressed with them due difficulties keeping them balanced, seemed every few thousand miles they became square. Maybe they've improved since my retirement, but I'll have pass on them.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : February 26, 2016 12:33 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : February 26, 2016 8:40 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My RAM came with Michelins LTX-MS tires. I put 59K miles on them in the first 2 years with some minimal RW towing. I could easily have put another 10K miles on them but, in 2013 after retirement, I was going to start doing some serious towing so I put another set on the RAM. After all, the RAM is a SRW truck and I don't want any tire issues while towing. I have now put 30K miles on the second set of tires with no issues. They run quite and are very good on wet pavement.

Posted : February 26, 2016 11:00 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

That's an odd review that they're not good on tow vehicles as that's what came on a dually from the factory?? But that probably means nothing as most of these heavy RWs came with "E" rated tires !!
My last dually came with Generals that lasted about 45k, replaced them with Falkens (never again) that lasted about 30k, & then tried Yokohamas & they were good tire, got about 50k each from 2 sets & they looked good when I traded it off. That truck had 176k when traded & approximately half of those miles were towing our last SOB.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : February 26, 2016 11:52 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : March 15, 2016 10:05 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

I'm about to replace the OEM truck Michelins with the same tire, they have 69k on them & if I wasn't about to tow several thousand miles they could go another 5k, never got that kind of mileage from any brand I've had, yep they cost more til you figure 1 set will outlast 2-3 sets of some other brands, like your Nexen.
As for the G tires & electric brakes, I've towed coast to coast border to border with the RW & our previous SOB (probably 80-90k) with only normal/annual maintenance. Do disc brakes do a better job, don't know never had them, but I would wager they are a huge improvement, but unfortunately we don't have $$$$$$ to fix what ain't broke, so I'll make do with what's on there.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : March 16, 2016 2:19 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Can't speak for the GK floorplan, but on our 36FL we are well within the load limits of G rated tires (Goodyear). Our coach arrived with E-rated Marathons, which we immediately upgraded, as once loaded, they were at or over the load limit.

Like Danny & Linda, we have gone coast to coast and to within a few miles of Mexico from Canada without any issues with G tires and factory electric brakes. In those travels it includes many trips across and throughout the Rockies, without issues.

We are also upgrading the brakes this summer; however, it is not because from experience that we find the factory installs inadequate. This investment is being made based on research, which indicates the alternative is better and with consequential reduction in risk.

Posted : March 16, 2016 8:30 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : June 25, 2016 10:37 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I wouldn't worry about taking extra tires to Alaska, We made the trip last year 15600 miles round trip and had to use the spare on the trailer once when we picked up a screw on the Top of the World road. The only thing is watch for the orange flags (frost heaves) and slow down in the construction zones. Not a big difference to the roads around here. I did see some folks who had problems but they were the people driving 50 mph through the construction,(broken shackels, bent axles) the stuff you really have to make an effort to break. It was a great trip, we spent 4 months.

Posted : June 26, 2016 7:17 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

x

Posted : June 26, 2016 12:06 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Don't think you'll be disappointed in the Michelins, I got almost 69k out of the originals, not too bad, that's 2+ sets of your originals so it makes the price a little easier to swallow.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : June 26, 2016 12:12 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We Left home May 13,got back mid Sept, Could have stayed longer, I would recommend not any earlier (give them time to fix the frost heaves) there were lots of snow caped mountains that time of year very pretty. Points of interest every where, don't over look Canada take your time much to see there. If Your coming to the rally look us up, we have a book on campgrounds in Yukon and Alaska that is worth it weight in gold.
We looked at the caravans to get ideas on what we wanted to see and do, they have some great trips but we don't want to be told when to leave and where to stay. When we find a place we like we can stay a few days. we spent only 7 weeks in Alaska, not enough time in Alberta on the way up and spent more time coming back. we came back down the west side of British Columbia. I could go on and on here.

Posted : June 26, 2016 2:25 PM
Page 1 / 2
Share: