Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Fuse Issue

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Every time I tow my trailer my batteries end up dead with not enough power to run my leveling system. Yesterday I took it in for some service work and after being on shore power for two and half weeks and one hour on the road not enough power to unhook at the dealership.

Come to find out I had blown a fuse that links the fifth wheel wiring on 2015 Silverado. The service guys at the dealership said this Chevy issue.

Have any of you experience this type of issue in the past?

Thanks,
Dan

Posted : April 8, 2016 10:15 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Sounds more like bad batteries than bad wiring. If you've been on shore power that long the batteries should have been good for 2-3 days. The bad batteries could have shorted the out causing the truck fuse to blow. If you have a volt meter, check to see if you have 12 volts at the truck plug, if I remember correctly it's the center pin on the truck plug, if not look at the cover it shows which pin is for. Unless the dealer upgraded your batteries, you may only have 1 el cheapo shipping battery or 2 of the no name cheapest on the shelf ones.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : April 8, 2016 11:58 AM
(@Anonymous)

Also my thoughts at first. Last night after we received the low battery fault and the leveling system stopped while hooked to my truck they plugged into their yard switch tractor, within a few minutes it had picked up enough charge to run the leveling system so I could unhook. I was during that time that they found the blown fuse. They said they had the same problem with their Chevy.

Posted : April 8, 2016 12:27 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

I have a GMC & not had that problem.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : April 8, 2016 6:04 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Check the connection of that charge wire in the box where the wires are at on the RW hitch to make sure there's not a short or bad connection there.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : April 8, 2016 6:07 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be bad batteries. Haven't had any problems since batteries were replaced. Never had a issue with fuses in our Chevy truck...towing or otherwise.

Bob

Posted : April 8, 2016 11:47 PM
(@kenneth-and-donna)

Having that issue now. Batteries are fully charged on shore power. Drive 2.5 hours and try to level at new campground and it faults out with not enough power.

Batteries tested at Interstate battery today and one battery place says batteries are bad but they dont stock the replacement.  So I go to a different Interstate battery who does stock them they run the same test and he says that the batteries are working better than advertised. Problem is not with the batteries. So after the wire comes in the the hitch cable where does it go next? Inverter, converter, breaker panel? Please help.

Posted : September 3, 2020 9:45 AM
Michelle
(@mhs4771)

If your batteries go dead after 2.5 hrs of disconnection shore power you have more serious issues.  How many and how old are they.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top

Posted : September 3, 2020 12:37 PM
Share: