Towing a car

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I'm very seriously considering towing a Mini Cooper Clubman S behind the RW. Weight wise I'll be ok, overall length will be slightly under max length. Going to tow with a Blue Ox towbar and the brake system will be an SMI Stay in Play Duo fully progressive braking with an onboard vacuum pump for assist. Same setup as you would use behind a motorhome.

I know George and Lisa tow a Jeep, was wondering if anyone else is and what their experience has been. We're just finding too many places that are too much of a PITA to get into and out of with the Dually and also would be nice to have a second car when set up for a while.

Posted : June 19, 2016 2:12 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Vaughn,
Lately we've seen folks towing all kinds of things behind their 5ers, boats, motorcycles, enclosed trailers, atv/rtv, jeeps, cars, trucks, but what we have done & in my opiion it's cheaper/safer to rent a car if needed than to tow it with us, just my .02 cents. DW would love to have the Mini convertible though.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : June 19, 2016 5:34 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Vaughn: This year we spent the fall in New England (pulled Jeep through with no issues). Then We came across the Gulf of Mexico and spent the winter in Arizona and California. We saw many people towing behind 5th wheels all around the country. We had opportunities to talk to other campers that tow and also to law enforcement. DOT/Police were more concerned about drivers driving safely, than what we are towing. We are still happy with our decision--no regrets.

Posted : June 19, 2016 8:13 PM
(@Anonymous)

aaaah go for it 😛

No receiver should go empty! 🙂 You'll find they actually tow nice back there. If you wiggle the wheel, you wag the tail, so you have to pay a little more attention, especially with that short wheel base.

Judging from the massive steel that went into that MorRyde IS, I believe you have already overcome the weak spring shackle issue. Keep an eye on your trusses between the I-beam frame aft of the axle, as they had a hard time staying welded even without anything on the back. I bought one of those little cameras on a snake with a light to inspect up under the belly. Good rearview camera is priceless, and TPMS.

As someone very wise told me before, the SMI Stay-in-Play is an excellent choice 🙂

Posted : June 19, 2016 8:55 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Sounds like Fun. Hope you have it on when you come East. You will have no problems on the roads in Canada.

Posted : June 21, 2016 2:48 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Will probably be a regular Mini Cooper S, Tracy not fond of the Clubman.
Unfortunately won't have it for the Canada trip Bud, still in the looking for the right car stage. May have it for the Rally, but more than likely it will be fall before I put the whole thing together.

In the meantime ~ if anyone knows of a really nice 20111-2013 Cooper S manual trans Black mini .......... send info LOL

Posted : June 21, 2016 2:54 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I'll check with the local dealer, may be you can get a good deal on a Canadian one.

Posted : June 21, 2016 2:57 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

But then I'd have to talk to it in Canadian, eh ?

Posted : June 21, 2016 2:59 PM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Yep he'll be driving MILES not kilometers & buying fuel by GALLONS not litres so all his gauges would be wrong.

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : June 21, 2016 8:19 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Vaughn,
If you decide to tow and are interested in a Blue Ox tow bar I have one. Would depend on what type of mount will be on the car but I purchased this one new and only has about 10K of use and still super tight. They are good for around a 100K before replacement. I also have the safety cables and wire cable for between the two.
I could bring to the rally if interested or if anyone else on here has interest.

Steve

Posted : June 21, 2016 9:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Steve - PM me please, I'm starting to collect pieces and yes there is interest here
Many thanks

Posted : June 22, 2016 6:46 AM
(@Anonymous)

Yep he'll be driving MILES not kilometers & buying fuel by GALLONS not litres so all his gauges would be wrong.

Most vehicles are "bilingual" these days, I flip the gauges from metric to US measures when I'm in the US just to get "miles to empty" so I can match the GPS (and to confuse my co-pilot as the outside temperature goes from C to F degrees!). I still have to do a mental conversion as I think of fuel economy in Imperial MPG vs. MPG in US gallons. I guess to make a vehicle almost totally American you would have to take it to a dealer so the computer could be programmed to deactivate the daytime running lights.

With our lower C$ there are lots of vehicles (especially off-lease) moving from Canadian dealers into the US these days for some quick profit taking.

Posted : June 22, 2016 7:22 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Al.

Even after 37 years in Canada I still don't use any metric, except possibly temperature. With distances and speeds, I have no concept how far 100 km is, I mentally convert to 60 miles. Same with weights, volume, etc.

Out West Imperial measures are still widely used.

Agree with your comment on selling Canadian vehicles in the US. When I traded the old truck, our dealer gave us top dollar and had it sold in the US the same day.

Posted : June 22, 2016 9:36 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Al.

Even after 37 years in Canada I still don't use any metric, except possibly temperature. With distances and speeds, I have no concept how far 100 km is, I mentally convert to 60 miles. Same with weights, volume, etc.

Out West Imperial measures are still widely used.

Agree with your comment on selling Canadian vehicles in the US. When I traded the old truck, our dealer gave us top dollar and had it sold in the US the same day.

Posted : June 22, 2016 9:36 AM
Share: