Us crazy people that double .......

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Since there have been some questions about it, I thought I would start a thread.

Anyone curious, please feel free to ask anything about double towing. We've pulled the Focus about 9,000 miles so far and love it.!! I'm sure George and Lisa and maybe Brad will add some info too.

I'll post a picture of our rig if my iPad allows it. Lol

Posted : November 23, 2019 3:23 PM
(@Anonymous)

Since there have been some questions about it, I thought I would start a thread.

Anyone curious, please feel free to ask anything about double towing. We've pulled the Focus about 9,000 miles so far and love it.!! I'm sure George and Lisa and maybe Brad will add some info too.

I'll post a picture of our rig if my iPad allows it. Lol

Hi Piper,

I have a couple of questions for you. Did you have to add any extra support for the hitch ? My next question is. Where are you getting power from for the lights on the car being towed ? I looked at the back of my trailer and did not see any pigtail around the trailer hitch.

Thanks for any info,
Al

Posted : November 24, 2019 10:34 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hi Al
Other than the first year or so of production, Redwood did not supply trailer wiring. I pullled the tailights and wired in a standard 5 wire harness.

As for the hitch, it's rated for 3000 lbs and the Focus is 2820. I did do some reinforcements just for insurance.

Posted : November 25, 2019 1:31 AM
(@Anonymous)

Hi Al
Other than the first year or so of production, Redwood did not supply trailer wiring. I pullled the tailights and wired in a standard 5 wire harness.

As for the hitch, it's rated for 3000 lbs and the Focus is 2820. I did do some reinforcements just for insurance.

Hi Piper,
Thank you for the info. I have another question for you. When you tapped into the rear wiring harness, do you drop the rear belly protection ( corpolast ) down enough to get to the wires or did you tap into the wires by pulling out a tail light ?

Thank you again for your help,
Al

Posted : November 26, 2019 9:21 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Pick up atrailer wiring harness and then drop the coroplast enough to fish it up there.
I pulled the tailights and used a test light to verify which wire was which , Learned a long time ago not to trust that the Amish electrians used the correct color code wiring. Lol

Posted : November 26, 2019 5:33 PM
(@Anonymous)

Pick up atrailer wiring harness and then drop the coroplast enough to fish it up there.
I pulled the tailights and used a test light to verify which wire was which , Learned a long time ago not to trust that the Amish electrians used the correct color code wiring. Lol

Hi Piper,

Thank you again for some great info. I now have a plan.

Thank you,
Al

Posted : November 27, 2019 9:25 AM
Share: