Driving to Big Bend

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Driving from Carlsbad, NM to Big Bend. I can go to Marfa and down 67 or Alpine and down 118. Which route has the least steep downhill grades? 118 is shorter, but is it more mountainous?

Posted : April 5, 2019 11:33 PM
(@Anonymous)

We were in the Big Bend area back in 2010 and we hit Marathon/Alpine when we went through, we then went up to Monahans Tx. I don't recall any challenging hills on that trip.

Lately the biggest hassles we have in that area is the bad road conditions from Carlsbad NM to Pecos Tx as a result of the oilfield activity, we've avoided going to Carlsbad as a result.

Posted : April 6, 2019 9:07 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We frequent Alpine and Big Bend each winter, I’d suggest from Pecos 285 to Ft Stockton then 67 and 90 into Apline then 118 down to Big Bend; no grades on that route to be concerned about. I’d stay away from 118 between I40 and Alpine as you get pretty high in the Davis Mountains and the McDonald Obseratory. Wouldn’t suggest pulling a RW through there if you can help it. Be sure to pick up any needed groceries and supplies in Ft Stockton where there is a Walmart and other shopping. Apline does have a couple of small grocery stores and a really great hardware store but parking a RW at any of those would be an issue. Also agree with almcc that the worse part of the trip will be the road conditions from Carlsbad to Pecos, just pulled through there last week and those roads are suffering from the oilfield equipment. Enjoy Big Bend and don’t miss Tertlingua.

Posted : April 10, 2019 7:31 PM
Share: