Traveling to Fort Wilderness Campsites.

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hello, will be traveling from Central Florida to Disney's Fort Wilderness at the end of March. We will be traveling with our Redwood 3901WB. Looking for suggestions as to the best route. We will be leaving from Ocala North RV park, located off exit 368 on I75. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Francis Faulkner.

Posted : February 20, 2019 5:27 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hi Francis,

We spend our winters about 6 miles away from Disney and both work as seasonal cast members.

We use the toll roads with the Florida Sunpass so we don’t have to stop at toll booths and have a lot of change on hand.

Google Maps will give you several suggestions, but my recommendation for routing with the least traffic congestion would be:
I-75 to the Florida Turnpike towards Orlando
Florida Turnpike to 429 South
429 South to Exit 8 toward Disney World on Western Way East.
Turn left from Western Way on Buena Vista Dr. (Second light)
Turn left from Buena Vista on to World Drive (Second light). You are now heading north toward the Magic Kingdom.
You will need to merge to the left two lanes to avoid the exit for Epcot and head toward Magic Kingdom auto plaza. As you approach the auto plaza you MUST be in the farthest right lane to avoid the auto plaza. The farthest right lane merges on to Vista Blvd heading east and in less than a mile Fort Wilderness entrance will be a left turn.

Do not trust your vehicle GPS around Disney. They are always constructing new roads and changing exits/entrances and most vehicle GPS systems don’t keep up with the latest routes. ALWAYS follow Disney road signs - usually well marked and always correct. But because of construction the Fort Wilderness signs on World Drive seem to be placed a little late and can catch you by surprise. If you’re not in that right lane you’ll end up going through the MK parking lot - not too magical experience.

Let me know when you’re here and maybe we can meet!

Posted : February 22, 2019 12:07 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Hi Francis! We stayed at Ocala North in December on our way to Fort Wilderness. We took the same route that Paul is mentioning. Basically just 75 to the turnpike, then followed the signs. Heading back again on March 8th.

When your at Ocala North, the exit at I75 has a little touristy, bbq joint and tacky shell shop. Despite its looks , it’s very safe and the bbq wasn’t bad. But definitely get a couple bags of boiled peanuts. We love them when sitting outside. Either on the beach or at Fort. They are so fresh and good.

Cheers

Posted : February 22, 2019 10:15 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We arrive at the Fort next Sunday morning, March 3rd and will be there until Saturday March 9th. Will try to look every one up.

Posted : February 23, 2019 5:58 AM
Share: