Magum MMS Series Inverters/Chargers FAULT! NO COMM

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I have a 2015 36FB with MMS Series Inverters/Chargers. The remote control FAULT RED light is on and FAULT! NO COMM is showing. The inverter in the basement is beeping about ever 4 seconds. Seems like I have power to half the camper. Microwave lights up but refrigerator and lights won't come on. Any assistance much appreciated.

Posted : October 28, 2019 3:21 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

try disconnecting from he shore power and turn off the 12volt batterys to the inverter ( they both have to be off at the time if one is off the other will keep the inverter running). leave it off for 10 seconds and confirm the com-fault remote monitor is off then turn on the 12volt DC then the park power. I have had mine do this two different times cures it both times.

Posted : October 28, 2019 6:34 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thank you Mark for your suggestion. I tried it as you described and it didn't correct the problem. I still only have power on half the appliances and no lights. My PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMSPT50C Surge Protector reads 122/123 volts for lines coming with no errors. So i feel shore power is fine. Maybe a new inverter is required?

Again, thank you for you suggestion!

Posted : October 28, 2019 8:06 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Have you checked the voltage of your batteries. Low voltage can cause this error. The voltage should be checked at the batteries without shore power or generator power.

Posted : October 30, 2019 7:09 AM
Danny_and_Linda
(@danny_and_linda)
Prominent Member

Reset the GFCI on the bathroom cabinet, this should restore the 120 volt items in 1/2 the RV.
All of you lights are 12 volt so shouldn't be battery related for the 1/2 the rigs power lose.
Also unless you have a residential fridge you have a converter not an invertor. Converter converts 120 volt to 12 volt to run 12 volt items & charge the batteries while the invertor does the opposite, 12 volt to 120 volt for your residential fridge & possibly another outlet or 2, for the tv as example.
If the convertor is blinking you could have dead batteries. Unless you've replaced them since new they're 5+/- years old which about the span for RV batteries. Your RV fridge, furnace & water heater all require 12 volts whether you're running them on gas or shore power so fully charged batteries & a converter are necessary.
If I recall the red light blinking indicates a code by the number & sequence of the blinks, you'll need the convertor manual troubleshooting guide to cipher the code.
Good luck!

Travelin' Texans
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!!

Posted : October 31, 2019 5:52 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The Magnum MMS series is a dual system that is both a converter and an Inverter.

Posted : October 31, 2019 9:18 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Took the batteries out and put a multimeter on them and both showed 4 for a split second then OL. Believe i need new batteries even though these are about two years old.
Thank you for your help

Posted : October 31, 2019 9:21 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I do have a residential fridge. As I was telling Mark I did check batteries today and believe I need new ones even though only two years old. Thank you for taking the time to try and assist me.

Posted : October 31, 2019 9:23 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Just because the batteries are only 2 years old, that don't mean anything.. I had my 2 stock " UPGRADED" batteries go south in the first 2 years..

I upgraded to the Lifeline AGM style GPL-31 XLT and never looked back... worth the price of the upgrade in my book.

The 2020 I have now has already had the batteries UPGRADED to Lifeline as well...

Posted : November 1, 2019 8:53 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

THANK YOU Joe! I will look into replacing my batteries with the GPL-31 LT. Appreciate your help.

Posted : November 1, 2019 9:38 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Your welcome, You do not have to use the Lifeline brand, almost any AGM battery is a good decision. I choose them because of the reviews I read online, and the ease of maintenance.

I believe I paid around $700.00 for the 2..

I ordered 2 of the GPL31T... when I went to pick them up, they were the XT, I stated that they were wrong and I was not paying for the upgraded version ( $ 100.00 ea more) .. They gave them to me for the same cost..

*** ON EDIT **

I am not sure where you are located but I found that Steins Pasco Battery - was the cheapest on ANY battery.. They are primarily in the NE from PA to DE to MD and VA.. I found my receipt from June of this year.. paid $325.00 ea + $26.00 ea core charge that I got back..

https://www.pascobattery.com/agm-batteries/lifeline-agm-batteries/12-volt/lifeline-gpl-31t-marine-battery

Posted : November 1, 2019 9:57 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

While at the Rally this year I changed out my 4 1/2 year old 12V Batteries for 4 T105 6V AGMs giving me approx 450 Amp Hours. They're doing great powering our Inverter which runs our Fridge and Portable Freezer while traveling.

Posted : November 1, 2019 8:37 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Torbgb75, if your meter showed what you stated, it may have been on the ohm scale. You may want to check your meter and then recheck the batteries.

Posted : November 3, 2019 12:49 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

keep on top of your wet cell battery's , they need the water checked several times a year. I have my magnum energy set up to charge and I don't turn on the progressive. I can keep the charge level to less then 20 amps so it doesn't heat up the battery's during bulk charge and the remote show the voltage and charge rate. If I know the battery's are low from traveling I will change the charge rate if we are traveling two days in consecutive days. It normally takes about 10hrs at less then 20 amps to fully charge (2) 105 amp hour 6 volts. The progressive's converters are not capable of changing the type of battery ( AGM , Flooded , ect) not all battery types need the same charge peak voltage.

Posted : November 4, 2019 6:55 PM
Share: