Clear all

Need info on grey tanks

10 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get some info on the grey tanks. My trailer is a 2019 3401RL. I have two grey tanks. I looks like the water from the kitchen sink and shower goes to tank #2. What water goes to tank #1 ?. Or is tank #1 used when tank #2 gets filled up ? Can someone please explain how the tanks work. I have been putting a cleaning solution into the grey and black tanks. But it doesn't seem like a cleaning solution is going into tank #1.

Thank you for any info,
Al

Posted : September 4, 2019 7:53 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

It varies by floorplan and at times based on the installer on the factory floor. On our 36FL the other grey tank is used by the washing machine (not installed) & bathroom sink.

Fortunately both tanks are at the same level, so I installed an additional valve in the discharge line & with both grey tank valves open we can equalise the tank usage.

For cleaning solution possibly try the bathroom sink.

Posted : September 4, 2019 9:22 AM
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Andy,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It sounds like if I want to have the grey tanks equalize I need to install an additional valve. Did you need to drop down the belly cover to add the extra valve ? Do you also have another pull handle for the new valve ?

Al

Posted : September 4, 2019 9:48 AM
Jc2524 reacted
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

With the MB Floor plan, the Gray is the Bathroom and Washer, Galley is Kitchen Sink and Dishwasher, if it has the Half Bath I don't know.
But we can't equalize the Grays because the Galley is above the axles while the Gray is in the front Drop down section next to our Black.
And as Andy mentioned, some with the same floor plan have found they have different plumbing routing.

Posted : September 4, 2019 9:57 AM
(@Anonymous)

Not sure about your tanks, but on our 2013 36RL I used the valve (link below, available on Amazon) and opened both gray tank valves this summer to get more days on a non-serviced site before dumping . The valve attaches to the end of the sewer connection where you connect the sewer hose to. I keep it there as it's extra protection when some toilet paper causes the black tank valve to remain slightly open, prevents a minor flood of urine when the sewer cap is taken off!

link

Posted : September 4, 2019 12:58 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Hi Al,
Our ‘15 38RL has the galley on one tank and the bathroom sink, washer and shower on the other. We also have the gate valve at the end of the line that I will close and gang the two grey tanks together if I need the capacity. Galley has 1/2 size plumbing to the main line and takes twice as long to drain so I will pull the black, then galley grey, then shower grey for the big flush out.

Posted : September 4, 2019 3:48 PM
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

It varies by floorplan and at times based on the installer on the factory floor. On our 36FL the other grey tank is used by the washing machine (not installed) & bathroom sink.

Fortunately both tanks are at the same level, so I installed an additional valve in the discharge line & with both grey tank valves open we can equalise the tank usage.

For cleaning solution possibly try the bathroom sink.

Hi Everyone,

I did a little test yesterday. After Andy said that maybe the bathroom sink could go to one of the grey tanks. I poured water down the bathroom sink and saw the indicator on grey tank # 1 come up. I think I can assume that the wash machine could also drain to grey tank # 1. Right now for my trailer ( 2019 3401RL ) the kitchen sink and shower drain to grey tank # 2.

Thank you everyone for the help,
Al

Posted : September 5, 2019 7:33 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

Hi Andy,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It sounds like if I want to have the grey tanks equalize I need to install an additional valve. Did you need to drop down the belly cover to add the extra valve ? Do you also have another pull handle for the new valve ?

Al

Al - I installed a manual gate valve right at the outlet, where you connect the sewer hose, so no need to drop the belly.

With this system, ensure the black tank valve is closed, close the new valve and open both grey tanks. Provided they are both at the same level, they will fill equally.

When dumping the black tank, I ensure both grey tank valves are closed.

I believe a few of us have installed a similar system, as I got the idea from the forum before we bought in 2012.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos on the laptop & the coach is stored over 20 miles away.

Posted : September 5, 2019 9:19 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)

I think this is what you’re looking for Al.

Posted : September 5, 2019 10:05 AM
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. It all makes sense. A nice simple mod.

Al

Posted : September 6, 2019 11:24 AM
Share: