Water Heater won't run on gas

8 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Our 2019 3981 FK has been using Electric to heat water with no problems. When we put it on gas or gas and electric there is no gas going to the heater and no spark trying to ignite. Wondering if something is turned off? Not sure how to troubleshoot. I have had them not light before but you can hear the spark trying to ignite and smell gas. On this one we get nothing on gas. Any ideas?

Posted : August 9, 2019 9:41 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

First question: Do other Gas appliances work?? If not have you tried both tanks? Does the switch light up? If not you might have a blown fuse or disconnected wire at the switch.
If everything else works I would put a meter on the gas valve on the WH and have someone turn on the switch and see if you get voltage to allow Gas.

Posted : August 9, 2019 10:20 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Other appliances work on propane. The water heater works great on electric. There is only one rocker switch on the outside of the water heater and it's working fine. When we switch to gas we get no gas flowing and no igniter. Would the igniter still click on even if the gas wasn't flowing?

Posted : August 9, 2019 10:29 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Other appliances work on propane. The water heater works great on electric. There is only one rocker switch on the outside of the water heater and it's working fine. When we switch to gas we get no gas flowing and no igniter. Would the igniter still click on even if the gas wasn't flowing?

On my coach, there are also 2 switches inside where the control panel is located. One switch is for electric and one switch (labeled DSI) turns on the LP gas igniter. Once turned on and after a few seconds, you will hear the ignition sequence. I think it will try 3 times to get ignition before locking out. If it locks out, turn off the DSI switch for a few seconds, then turn it back on and the sequence will start again.

Posted : August 9, 2019 2:56 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks. Unfortunately my unit uses the In Command control panel. The choices are gas, electric or gas and electric.

Posted : August 9, 2019 2:59 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

my water heater has a high limit switch that could cause the issue your talking about. check your water heater for 12vdc at the high limit .

Posted : August 9, 2019 3:17 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My water heater stopped working on gas also. The control board had failed. I swapped it out for a Dinosaur Electric board and no problem since.

Posted : September 11, 2019 2:42 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

First thought it was a control board but ended up being the high limit switch / tstat.

Posted : September 27, 2019 10:56 AM
Share: