Installing Onan Generator myself

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

We purchased our 39 MB without a generator. I am considering ordering a Onan 5500 and installing myself.
We are going to be at the Rally in July and thought I could ask about DYI but since playing around in the forum, thought would get feedback on this installation.
If any of you would like to share your wisdom, please do so
I have questions regarding hooking up to LP?
What additional support is needed under the generator?
Can the exhaust be forward enough to be in front of bedroom slideout or further back past bedroom slide out?
If someone gets a chance to respond I appreciate it in advance
Allen

Posted : June 11, 2017 5:07 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Since you will be there for the rally, call Onan of Indiana and tell them when you will be there... They will probably give you a decent price on the genny, and the install . . I call them last year, and the number was identical to the price Tiara quoted me. I decided on Tiara only because I also needed some warranty work done while I was there. 1 stop shopping . .

Posted : June 11, 2017 6:11 PM
(@Anonymous)

I installed my Onan 5500 in our Redwood 36RL after removing it from our Montana. Install was pretty straight forward -

• Remove the knockouts in the floor of the cabinet.
  • Mount Genny to floor (no additional support)
  • Connect remote switch connector from Redwood to generator
  • Route power cable up to transfer switch above the heat shield.
  • Route battery cables to battery tray.
  • I had to have an LP hose fabricated at an LP shop. I tapped in at the LP regulator and ran flex hose to the generator.
  • Exhaust - ah the exhaust. I had an exhaust pipe on mine already. I had to shorten it because the Redwood sat lower than the Montana so that took a welder at Midas. Mine ran straight out the side. I know they recommend running it behind the bedroom slide, but in my mind that was a worse area because it could collect under the main slide.
  • Use aluminum tape and block off the pass throughs in the base of the gen to prevent heat from underneath the gen from transferring into the cabinet. On ours originally in the Montana I left those open and it melted the cabinet door.

Posted : June 11, 2017 10:16 PM
(@Anonymous)

One other consideration for you. Is your RW generator prepped or not? Ours isn't, and if I wanted to install a genny additional wiring to and from the power center (crawling through the basement behind the wall) and installing a transfer switch would be required.

Posted : June 12, 2017 7:37 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thank you Joe I will look for their number and get their info.

Posted : June 12, 2017 8:08 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thank you the explanation helped, especially the photos.
Our unit is all set up for a generator so this helps me a lot.
Allen

Posted : June 12, 2017 8:12 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I just got to my desk and dug out my paperwork from Tiara.. The installation was $500.00.. here are the numbers:
Onan 5.5 - $4,102.94
Onan 6.5 - $5,850.00
Parts kit for either -$147.00 -including all battery cables, all LP fittings and hoses. and exhaust and brackets
Install for either size - $500.00
The price form Onan of Indiana was almost identical, I choose Tiara so I could get it all done while getting warranty work done at the same time.. DISCLAIMER - - Those are the 2016 numbers, not sure of the differences 1 year later?

Posted : June 12, 2017 8:32 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Boy Jim if I would have gotten pricing like that it would be humming inside the compartment already. Our price was around $7800.00 for the Onan 5.5. Which I thought was crazy.
And my prices were last fall prior to heading out to Florida.
I have sent email to Onan Elkhart to see what prices they send me I will let you know when they respond.
Thanks for helping me with this.

Posted : June 12, 2017 9:22 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Jim the price above was generator and installation.

Posted : June 12, 2017 9:24 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The price OUT THE DOOR for the 5.5 was $5,047.50 and the 6.5 was $6,200.00,, soup to nuts, including tax..

On a different note, spoke to Vaughan, he sent a few notes to Onan about being a vendor at this years rally with no response.

Posted : June 12, 2017 9:42 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks Jim, I tried to send another post but it didn't go thru so Tyumen again.
Norwall Industries gave me a price of $3908.00 for the 5.5 LP. Free delivery and no sales tax.
That is why I'm thinking about installing myself.

Do you think I can buy the install kit from Tiera? If so that might be the way I go.

Posted : June 12, 2017 9:57 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Thanks Jim, I tried to send another post but it didn't go thru so Tyumen again.
Norwall Industries gave me a price of $3908.00 for the 5.5 LP. Free delivery and no sales tax.
That is why I'm thinking about installing myself.

Do you think I can buy the install kit from Tiera? If so that might be the way I go.

By the way , It is Joe.. not sure where Jim came from?

If it were me, I would take that advertised price, and have either Tiara or Onan of Indiana MATCH it and do them install..

Posted : June 12, 2017 10:44 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Let me know if you here anything. Ours is prep ready from the factory.

thanks,
Karen

Posted : June 12, 2017 2:16 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Allen
I ordered my 6500 from Norwall for 5000.00. Including muffler. L.p. hose made at hose shop #2awg copper wire and connectors was another 150.00. Installed it with another guys help

Posted : June 12, 2017 5:49 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Sounds like the route for me. Thanks.

Posted : June 12, 2017 8:06 PM
Share: