Hitch Question

12 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I was wondering if anyone is running the Flex-air Pin Box with the Comfort Ride hitch? I have a 2018 3901 WB with the MorRyde IS and Disc Brakes and was thinking about getting the Comfort Ride 184 hitch. I will probably switch to the Moryde Pin box at some time but wondered how it would ride with the Flex-air Comfort Ride combo.

Posted : April 30, 2019 8:23 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

Don't know, but I've been told: either an air ride King Pin or Hitch, but not both, but I have no real experience.
I have the Comfort Ride 25K Model 245, are you sure you want to go with the 184 with only an 18K limit? We have a '16 39MB and it left the Factory at 16K, so loaded we're over 18K

Posted : April 30, 2019 8:40 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I have also heard that you shouldn't have both. My 3901WB has a max weight of 17,900 Lbs. It scaled in at just over 16,800 Lbs. loaded on my way to Florida for this fall. I weigh it often and would never exceed the weight limit of the RV or truck. I suppose I should get the 245 to be safe. Just asking if anyone has experience actually using this combo or if I have to buy the Morryde pin box right away.

Posted : April 30, 2019 9:45 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I have the same setup as Michelle. 245 Comfort Ride and MorRyde pinbox. Rick at Comfort Ride was concerned that the flex air would possibly fight the Comfort Ride but I'm not sure anyone has tried it. It might work ok, but I'm sure you'd have to play with the air pressure.

Fwiw, once you've got a Comfort Ride you'll never pull with a regular hitch again.

Posted : May 1, 2019 1:53 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

All I can say is that RW must have lighten up the 39MB/3901 between 2016 (Mfr date of Mar 2015) and 2018. We have the Butler's Pantry vs Wine Bar or Half Bath, but ours shipped from the factory at just a few pounds under 16K. So ours is almost as heavy empty as yours is loaded. Would be interesting to understand how they removed that much weight.

Posted : May 1, 2019 9:43 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

My certificate of origin which is the legal document that accompanies a new trailer has the shipping weight at 14,381 Lbs. The GVWR is 17,900 Lbs. If you are in a serious accident and they can prove your trailer is over the 17,900 Lbs. you are open to a law suit. The yellow sticker on the entrance door jamb will show the empty weight of the trailer and the maximum allowable cargo capacity. Just curious as to what yours says?

Posted : May 1, 2019 5:17 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I was wondering if anyone is running the Flex-air Pin Box with the Comfort Ride hitch? I have a 2018 3901 WB with the MorRyde IS and Disc Brakes and was thinking about getting the Comfort Ride 184 hitch. I will probably switch to the Moryde Pin box at some time but wondered how it would ride with the Flex-air Comfort Ride combo.

From what I can see the amount of foam cells changes with the load rating also , the 18K hitch my be at the top of its limit vertically and pulling. I am roughly 3400 lbs on the pin so I plan on asking where the 24K hitch would be with that pin weight.

Posted : May 1, 2019 5:31 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

The 245 hitch has a max of 5 cells. The 308 has up to 9. On my 245 I run either 4 or 5 depending on the road and the ride. My pin weight is right around 4000.

Posted : May 2, 2019 12:16 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

I wrote the following note to Roadmaster Inc.
https://www.comfortridehitch.com/
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/
Roadmaster, Inc.
6110 NE 127th Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98682
1-800-669-9690

I wanted to drop you a note about my Comfort Ride Hitch Model 245 I purchased recently on July 31. I have since then traveled about 500 miles towing my 15,000lb fifth wheel. The journey crossed many bridges, rough road patches, all the normal bouncy roads and sources that would excite an action we 5ers call "chucking" where the entire combination is surging (accelerating) forward and then decelerating (bounce back without actually traveling backward!). The back and forth action would self dampen to smooth travel if another excitation was not encountered after about 150-200 feet of forward travel. Before the Comfort Ride Hitch was installed, if the cycling was crazy, I would apply either the foot brake or the trailer brake through the integrated brake controller to dampen and smooth out the ride. BUT with the Comfort Ride Hitch the entire event was virtually eliminated!! The entire combination of truck and fifth wheel quietly moved past the expansion joints, bridge deck to highway surface, whatever with a normal bump but with absolutely a small and very short cycle so short it isn't worth describing here.

At first I seriously considered NOT buying the hitch because of its price alone, but now after having driven a short distance with it I can't imagine why I didn't buy this hitch last year when I began investigating it.

I want to call out your Comfort Ride Hitch manager Trevor for his dedication to making a zero clearance hitch installation on my 15 year old bed rails!!! With the hitch installed tight and right the ride is quiet and comfortable. Amazingly there is no noise from the trailer riding in the jaws of the hitch or the hitch knocking on the bed rails.

Great service and dedication to excellence was clearly demonstrated by the long time employees at Roadmaster Inc.

Redwood 3401RL 2018 Flex Air Pin Box
2016 3500HD Silverado SRW

Posted : August 6, 2019 4:11 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

And the above, is why all of us that have that hitch consider it some of the very best $$$ that we've spent. The difference in ride, comfort and handling has to be experienced to be fully appreciated.

Posted : August 7, 2019 12:46 AM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

And with the way the jaw locking mech works, there is no way to get the handle in the locking position without the King Pin being fully seated in the jaws.

Posted : August 8, 2019 3:54 PM
Jim
 Jim
(@j_a_wolfe)
Topic starter

So you are running the flex air pin box and comfort ride hitch and have had no issues? Thanks, that answers my initial question in this post!! I will order a 245 on Monday!!!

Posted : August 10, 2019 5:30 PM
Share: